[pianotech] Weight question

Roger Gable roger at gablepiano.com
Wed Sep 8 09:38:22 MDT 2010

Having designed my grand piano tilter for the last year to determine weight
distribution of grand pianos, I can tell you that the weight distribution
depends on the size of the piano. 9' pianos have slightly more weight
distribution on the tail, but smaller pianos (around  6') have about 2/3
distributed on the 2 front legs with the bass leg taking approximately 55%
of the 2 front legs. A 750lb. piano is commensurate to a 7' piano which
would have approximately equal weight distribution on all 3 legs. Of course
this varies with the manufacturer.
Roger Gable
P.S. Why did you need to know this?