[pianotech] CA Glue

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Sep 7 23:18:37 MDT 2010

  On 9/7/2010 8:29 PM, Bill Fritz wrote:
> The inventor of cyanoacrylates, Harry Coover </wiki/Harry_Coover>,
> said in 1966 that a superglue spray was used in the Vietnam War
> </wiki/Vietnam_war> to retard bleeding in wounded soldiers until they
> could be brought to a hospital.
  It's very useful. I've heard that dentists use it for small cuts
because bandaids worry their patients.

As for the sterility problem, using it for a deep cut, that's why we
have immune systems. Regular stitches also pose an infection risk, even
using sterile sutures.

By the way, in case people forgot what I wrote in the Journal about it,
if you mix CA glue with a water-based glue, the resulting bond is so
much stronger than CA alone that you can truly glue yourself to yourself
in a way which requires acetone and a lot of patience and determination
to reverse. Don't ask me how I know ...

Susan Kline