[pianotech] 1865 Knabe Grand

Clark Sprague CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com
Fri Sep 3 19:07:27 MDT 2010

Anybody got some stories about how they replaced a pinblock, or soundboard on one of these?  I saw this one yesterday.  I got a call from another tech ( I found out that the call went from the customer to one tech, to another tech, to me, now I know why).  The pinblock is two tiered, and the plate and the block are mortised into the sides of the case.
    Somebody restrung the piano, and put on new hammers, at some not that distant past.  They must have determined that the board was flat, and needed to have more downbearing, so they put shims under the strings, right behind the front bridge pins.  The strings sit off the surface of the bridge at the rear pins.
    The hammers are huge.  The centers are sluggish with vertigris, knuckles flat, etc.  Rocker capstans, I think is the right term?
    Overall, I was surprised that the sound of the piano was pretty good.  Bass full, no dead strings.
    Anybody have an idea of the value of this 8 1/2 foot beast?  Serial number is 10433 (I found it stamped in the keybed).
    Attached are the photos the customer gave me.

Clark A. Sprague, RPT
csprague4 at woh.rr.com