[pianotech] Steam Voicing & Fabric Softner?

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Sun Sep 5 16:05:00 MDT 2010

My question is about fabric softener? Could one soak the cloth with water treated with fabric softener and get even better and faster results. Or could you directly put water treated with fabric softener on the hammer and steam voice. How much softer could be used?I am always trying new ways and have heard of treating with fabric softer alone but have never tried.Must be I have had so good luck with steam.

I did the fabric softener thing once, and didn't like it. I didn't really hear that much difference in the tone, and it turned the hammers blue. Steam voicing is much more effective. You have much more control over how much you want to change the tone, and if you've done too much, it's reversible. But the most important reason I like steam voicing, is it doesn't change the hammers a different color.

Wim