[pianotech] Damper spring tension

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Fri Sep 3 14:23:37 MDT 2010

Lee,

I have adjusted damper spring tension by putting the action in a cradle,
then tipping it back with dampers facing up.  Place a weight at the location
of the damper head and adjust the wire so the weight is just barely floating
down.

Next question is what the weight should be . . . Sorry, I don't have a
definitive recommendation  I have done it by changing new pianos that are
too stiff and weakening them smoothly to where they felt good and still
functioned after some seating work.

My process was to set a few bass and tenor samples by touch (trial and
error), made sure the dampers still would work well, then pulled the action
and measured the samples to use as guidelines.  I placed the weights in the
middle of the existing damper heads, but if you do it without the heads in
place you could be creative and rig up something to clip to the end of the
wire.  The trick would be knowing how much tension to set them to without
being able to test them first.

I would love to know if anyone has found guidelines for damper spring
tension at the damper head.  This varies tremendously from brand to brand,
and it seems to me that most new pianos have the springs too strong in order
to make it easier for the factory to make the dampers work.  Of course
different scales would need different tension, and as Del has shown
increasing the mass at the head can allow for lighter spring tensions.

Don Mannino