[pianotech] Wegman, we have a problem

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 16:16:50 MDT 2010

At 14:55 -0700 02/09/2010, Patrick C. Poulson wrote:

>John: thanks for the information. I will try these techniques, and
>hopefully one will be the cure. BTW, when you used new pins, did you
>have to cut them to a shorter length, and if so, how did you cut
>them?

The Papps has the plate with the tapering holes, then about an inch
of air and then a plate with 3/8" holes.  The pins are either 2-3/8"
or 2-1/2 I think but any length will do so long as it goes through
the back plate, because there's air behind that too.  The plates are
cast integral with the frame and joined at the top, so you have a
closed iron tunnel where the plank would be.

But to answer your question about the Wegman (which has a different
arrangement that I can't picture exactly) I'd grip the pin in a small
vice (sic in English) and cut it of with an angle-grinder, chamfering
the sharp edges as necessary on the grinding wheel.

JD