[pianotech] Kimballs

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 23:15:54 MDT 2010

I just tuned one today at a local high school! Solid spruce board with cut
offs, a transition bridge in the low tenor, the langer action felt nice. Had
a big sound for a studio size upright.

Some of the older Kimballs were pretty nice too (if the brass parts aren't
breaking!).

I think it is poor form to bash pianos. They are what they are - they can't
help it! I think many of the problems with these pianos was that they were
never prepped. Often the damper springs are too strong and the timing is too
early, and the regulation is poor. However, with some reasonable effort they
can be made to be satisfactory instruments. Regulate, tune, and voice them
and they will be OK.

Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter
Olympia, WA