[pianotech] another old PSO

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 23:03:42 MDT 2010

I love 25 year old Samicks! They are the perfect piano to make you look like
genius! In my experience they have a usual set of problems that are not that
difficult to overcome:

Hammers were often way to hard giving them a harsh metallic tone, and making
them stressful to voice.
Regulation is off
Friction is high

Order a new set of prehung hammers from Brooks with some Abel hammers. It
will take all of a couple of hours to put them on, travel and burn in the
shanks. Double the cost of the parts and pay yourself for a couple of hours
for the install.

Rebush the keys, and make sure the keypins are clean and lubed: 4-5 hours.

Regulate the action: 12 hours

Tuning and voicing: 4 hours

Based on $100 per hour this work would cost around 4K. The transformation
will most likely dazzle the client.

Darrel Fandrich used to use Samicks as the platform for his Fandrich & Sons
pianos. After he was done with his upgrades they were terrific pianos. Most
of the benefit came from his throwing out the hammers & shanks and replacing
them with good parts of the proper weight.

If it is typical, it shouldn't be too big a deal to change this beast into a
beauty.

Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter
Olympia, WA