[pianotech] Reverse una corda

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 1 20:51:06 MDT 2010

I was talking with my good friend Isaac Sadigursky this evening and among other things, we got onto the subject about actions that shift right to left (because that's what friends often talk about....).

It is his understanding that the original design was indeed right to left, but since a grand piano is shipped on the bass side, this would put the weight of the action on the spring. Pianos either had the annoying habit of showing up at their destinations with broken shift springs or having the shift springs break shorty thereafter. Someone figured out the problem and shifting from left to right was born. It seems that Hardman was stubborn (maybe a result of having the name Hardman) and used the right to left motion for years after everyone else changed to left to right.

There you have it.

G'night.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois