[pianotech] Stability techniques

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Sun Oct 31 11:14:01 MDT 2010

I agree that hammer technique is #1.  Most of the performance tunings I do
are on instruments that do not see frequent use (or service) so I am most
often working from well outside a one or two cent window - often 10 or 20
cents.  Sooooo, Pitch corrections first and fast.  Fine tune next as well as
I possibly can.  Then I typically will either play chromatic octaves with
both hands *ff, *up and down the scale, with the dampers off the strings, or
I've also used a variant of the FAS that Mr. Brady describes in his book.
 Then one last, quick, critical listening pass.

William R. Monroe