[pianotech] billing dilemma with pitch raises

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Sun Oct 31 09:41:52 MDT 2010

David,

As Wim said, it depends if you charge by the hour or by the job.  I would
strongly suggest that you do not charge by the hour, unless you have a way
to fill the open time in the middle of the day with other work.

I once had a customer tell me I only had 45 minutes to do the piano because
they had to leave by then.  I said, well, OK - tried to talk them into
letting me take my usual 1.5-2 hour appointment time, but the man was
insistent.

So I hurried through, got a good solid tuning and not much else, and he said
he was going to pay me 1/2 because I didn't take as long.  I smiled and said
no, I don't charge by the hour, I charge by the service provided.  If he
chooses to limit my time that is his choice, but his piano is in tune and
that is what I am charging him for.

He hemmed and hawed, but paid the bill.

So, charge for the job you do, and remember that often the piano owner has
saved a lot of money by not tuning the piano in a long time.

Another way some people do it is to simply charge for the double tuning all
the time, especially in climates more severe than here in coastal
California.  Then if it doesn't need the extra tuning time you can fill the
time with regulation, voicing, cleaning, etc.

Don Mannino RPT