[pianotech] billing dilemma with pitch raises

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Sun Oct 31 00:16:07 MDT 2010

David

There are two ways of looking at this. One is by the job. A normal tuning is X. A pitch raise is Y. Put them together, X+Y=Z. regardless of how much time you spend. The customer doesn't know how long a "normal" tuning takes, so if she's agrees up front to pay you $Z, and if she's happy, and you're happy, then it's a done deal.

The other way is the time you spend, which in your case, is about the same amount. Therefore, you shouldn't charge extra. But perhaps you're cheating yourself, and you actually do spend more than 90 minutes to do both.

Personally, it takes me about 15 minutes to go through a piano once for a pitch raise, using my SAT IV. The follow up tuning then takes me the same as a "normal" tuning, which is why I charge a little extra to do both.

Wim