[pianotech] Stability techniques

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat Oct 30 19:19:07 MDT 2010

Hi, Phil

D#6 is sort of a wonky note on the local D, but my main trouble in the
past, when it comes to whaling on unisons trying for stability, has been
C#7 and D7. I've managed to break the C#7 or the string between C#7 and
D7 on two Steinway D's less than a year old! And one about ten years
old. No trouble with breakage anywhere else -- just that one place.

I finally got smart and I don't pound that area with such ferocity.

Beating on C#5 and D5 is so common that on a rental I expect to find
them either brighter than the notes around them, or, more usually,
muffled from being  over-voiced. I try to settle them without adding to
the problem.

Susan Kline