[pianotech] Friday puzzler: Won't play on hard blow

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Fri Oct 29 15:48:24 MDT 2010

This is more fun than I thought it would be.  I've posted this puzzler on both lists and the two groups are at about the same point (if you remove Ed Sutton's formidable contributions from the mix, anyway).  To review for one and all, the instrument in question is a mainstream grand piano of relatively recent vintage.  The answer is neither of the first two things that came to the minds of so many of us, cheating jack and too-close back check (sounds like a country music duo, don't it?).  Nor is it a broken keystick or any of Ed Sutton's deeper speculations (on the CAUT list) about flexing balance rails and broken keybeds (man, Ed, you have seen some pretty interesting stuff!).  Also, it is not Catastrophic Action Failure--remember, it is not a repeated note thing--or a foreign object.

Time for more information:  There are two problem notes, one in the bass and one in the lower treble.  The worse one is in the bass, probably because of the greater mass of the hammer (compared to the other one).  When these notes won't play on a hard blow, one of their neighboring hammers moves slightly.

Going kayaking--back later,

Alan E.