[pianotech] Steinway M ballpark value

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Fri Oct 29 11:51:33 MDT 2010

Well, the pins were originally very crudely made, and I'm not so sure
they (when the procedure was established) had rounded tops.

Some time ago I restrung a European "Boutique Piano" (to borrow a term I heard used by Horace Greely years ago).  The client opted for all OEM materials, so we ordered bass strings and bridge pins from the manufacturer.  They invoiced me for bass strings and "bridge nails" (!!!), which turned out to be an accurate description (less the head of the nail, which had already been removed by some distinguished "guest worker," no doubt, thus elevating it from an ordinary nail to a pricey GERMAN nail!).  Needed filing--or I guess I could have used little plastic caps :-)--to make the end result look anything other than downright funky.

Alan Eder