[pianotech] Steinway M ballpark value

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Thu Oct 28 08:23:42 MDT 2010

Well now,

I've a 1926 M in walnut in my shop right now so there....(in the immortal
words of Joe G, "Phhhhzzzzttttttt").    ;-]

What Dale says, Daniel.  Assess it for it's potential now.  Is it producing
sustain?  How is the killer octave?  If the board is still working well
(possible) then go for it, but also, as Jon mentions, it looks more like a
candidate for a belly refurbish (unless the pinblock is bad).  If the block
is bad but the board, and bridges are OK, then maybe a new block/restring
and just refinish the board, repin/renotch the bridges, then rebuild the
action.

And I say why not rebuild a Steinway as your first?  I did, turned out very
well, I might add.  It just takes longer, and you'd probably be wise to
consult with others on occasion just to "make sure." but if you are a
technician who is capable of basic analytical thinking, and you go into the
project prepared, having done your research and homework, then go for it, I
say.

Value?
$1K per foot for a carcass, but this is more than a carcass.  It just
depends upon what you feel you might not have to do.  Finish looks pretty
good from your photos, so maybe that won't have to be done.  That adds a
couple thousand at any rate.  Assuming you'll do the pinblock, and keep but
refurbish the bridges/board, and totally rebuild the action/back action, I
dunno, maybe a low of $8K, and a high of $10K or $12K?  It really depends so
much upon what you are going to have to do with it.

William R. Monroe