[pianotech] regulation mystery

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue Oct 26 12:31:15 MDT 2010

I had a problem just like this, with the 100 year old German upright of
a local GP. The capstans are simply in the form of screws directly into
the keystick ends. When I first started tuning this piano over 20 years
ago, there was a lot of lost motion and I adjusted it. Only to find next
time that the hammers shanks were well off the hammer rest rail. The
capstan screws have gone up and down over the years, and I've not found
the cause.

Best regards,

David Boyce.