[pianotech] Bechstein grand lid hinges

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue Oct 26 12:26:20 MDT 2010

Is it especially difficult then? I did notice regarding the original
hinges that one hinge folded over on itself like a normal hinge, and the
other (the one which had half the hinge and the hinge pin missing) was
an offset hinge (i am sure that's not the right term. "staggered"?) with
the top half end-to-end as it were and not overlapping, the bottom half.

JD, I meant also to say that I noted that the original screws were blued
steel. Custom screws I think, the lid ones:  very wide and short.  I did
think about trying to blue some steel screws, but in the end felt that
brass No8 would be OK, considering the relatively light weight of the
lid, and the spread of the load on the new hinges.  (1 1/2" No 8 into
the rim).

Best regards,

David Boyce