[pianotech] Key balance rebushing

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 12:54:16 MDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:39 PM, <reggaepass at aol.com> wrote:

> List,
>
>  I'm now a firm believer in folding over the top & using cauls! (g)
>
> I have not (yet) folded balance rail bushings over the top of the key
> button.  It has not really been a conscience decision (until now, anyway).
>  The only reason I could offer is that on so many of the keyboards I have
> rebushed, the balance rail pin is not much taller than the top of the key
> button. In these cases, the top of the pin would be buried by the addition
> of bushing cloth to the top of the key button, making it tricky (and
> sometimes even impossible) to access the top of the pin for key squaring.
>  Am I the only one to encounter this problem?  Am I missing something here?
>
> thanks,
>
> Alan Eder

Hi Alan,

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, when I spoke of folding over the top, I
was referring to folding the felt from the top down in, with the Spurlock
cauls there is some felt left glued on top of the button. If, however it is
a problem on some pianos, I have removed it with a utility knife. I usually
replace balance rail punchings when I rebush, starting from the bottom up,
levelling & setting dip, so the balance rail pins being too low is rarely a
problem.

Mike

email mike at ifixpianos.com