[pianotech] Seiler 53" (135 cm) Upright 1997

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Oct 22 07:57:44 MDT 2010

How precise do you want to be?

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Thomas Cole
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2010 12:32 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: [pianotech] Seiler 53" (135 cm) Upright 1997

I tuned a wonderful-sounding but poorly-regulated Seiler today. The owner
and 8-year-old daughter both report the touch is too heavy. When I tried the
piano, it was hard to play pp passages without notes dropping out here and
there and, yes, it felt heavy.

There is a card on one side showing the regulation specs. Notes 1 - 34 have
56g (DW) and 35 - 88 have 54g. I found that most of the keys had four leads
behind the balance rail (half leads, two on each side). The few keys I
checked, with the wippen raised, the lead weights seemed to be balancing the
front weight of each key (see two photos below showing both sides of C4).

All of the dampers are timed very early (dampers move after a couple of mm
hammer travel).

My question is, what would be the most technicianly way of reducing
touchweight? Anything I need to know about this particular piano?