[pianotech] which Allen wrenches to carry

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Oct 21 06:46:15 MDT 2010

And remember the extra tiny one for the brass chopstick tool!  I don't
know what size it is, but man it's small!

Paul

From:
"David Nereson" <da88ve at gmail.com>
To:
<pianotech at ptg.org>
Date:
10/20/2010 08:40 PM
Re: [pianotech] which Allen wrenches to carry

      3/16" might work on Everett lids, but I just measured the
one I use and it looks more like 7/32".   I've seen Vise-grips
marks on Everett lid screws when janitors didn't have the right
one.
    Then I have a 3/8" and an 8mm, for leg and lyre bolts on (I
think it's) Samick and other Korean pianos. maybe Kawai.
Haven't noticed the new Steinway set-up.
    Oh, then I have teeny tiny ones for the set screws that hold
the needles in on my voicing tools.  One of 'em is a 1.5mm, I
believe, probably for the Yamaha tool, and it was hard to find.
Had to order 'em from Yamaha, plus extra set screws.
    Can't think of any other places they occur very often, but
in the tool box for my car, I have those fold-up sets, one SAE
and the other metric.

  --David Nereson, RPT