[pianotech] Mildew

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Wed Oct 20 03:27:02 MDT 2010

The bags of dessicant (usually silica gel) referred to are going to be of
very little use in this application.  They are ok for inclusion in
packaging for an item in transit, but not much else.

It's crucial to know whether the conditions that gave rise to the mildew
in the first place, have been altered.  If not, any cleanup will be only
temporary, and the mildew will take hold again in due course.

Mildew thrives in damp conditions.  Why might a room be damp?  Various
factors come in to play.  One might live in an area with a very humid
climate. One might live in an area with a very rainy cool damp climate
(like me in the West of Scotland).  Ordinary activities in a home generate
moisture and put it into the air - moisture from baths, showers, laundry,
etc.  Simply lying in bed asleep at night, we exhale about 20 fluid ounces
of  water.

Where does this moisture go?  The warmer air is, the more moisture it can
hold.  When warm moisture-laden air finds its way into a cool room in the
house, lots of the water in the air will condense out onto surfaces in the
room.

Thus if there is a "front parlor" that's only occasionally used, and not
generally heated, and that's where the piano is, the piano will be a prime
target for condensation and mildew.

Probably the simplest and most effective way to deal with moist air in a
home, is to buy a domestic dehumidifier.

These electrical appliances cost pennies a year to run, and very
effectively remove water from the air in a home.  I speak from personal
experience, and I believe that no home in te West of Scotland should be
without one!

An illustration of how things can change in a home was provided by friends
who are also clients of mine.  They are accomplished musicisns.  Their
grand piano is in the Front Room, which is not their usual family/sitting
room, and is not kept heated.  For many years, they had an open solid fuel
fireplace in that room, and no problems.  Then, they blocked up the
fireplace and fitten an electric heater. All of a sudden the room smelled
musty and the piano strings started to rust!  Why?  Because, previously
the open chimney provided an escape route for moisture-laden air floating
in from elsewhere in the house, and circulation of  air was able to take
place.  Now, with the fireplace blocked, any moisture-laden air getting
into that unheated front room, was shedding its load of moisture by
condensing in the room, including the piano.

In a cool damp climate, when it's raining outside, opening the window to
circulate the air won't help, as the air outisde is much wetter than that
inside.  The solution for my friends was an electric dehumidifier.

25 years ago, I slept in a bedroom that was getting increasingly mildewed.
It was not centrally heated and was on an exposed corner of the building.
Electric dehumidiefers were not as well-known back then, and relatively
expensive.  But I got one; an excellent, whisper-quite little unit, a
Toshiba Mini-Dry.  In the first 48 hours of its opereation, I measured the
water it extracted from that room alone (there was draft-excluder sleaing
the door).  The little Mini-Dry extracted FIVE QUARTS of water from that
room!  And that excellent little unit is still going strong today.

Anyway, this is just to point out that the conditions in the lady's home
need to be assessed and addressed, in order to permanently prevent any
recurrence of mildew.

Best regards,

David Boyce.