[pianotech] Definition of Rebuilding

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 09:22:45 MDT 2010

I think the main thing that clients need to understand when accepting any
bid for substantial work on their piano is to not just know what they are
getting but to ***KNOW WHAT THEY ARE NOT GETTING**.  *Like others have
mentioned, there are many piano owners who think their piano has been
completely "rebuilt" (the other great term is completely "gone through")
because it received a new set of bridle tapes, keytops, a quick hammer
reshaping, and a ballpark regulation. It might of even had all the "pads"
replaced.

Clients don't have a clue to all the details involved in our work. I think
when talking about a project its always best to start out with the complete
job: if its a grand probably in the neighborhood of $30,000 and maybe
$25,000 for an upright. Explain that this is what it cost to make it like
new. This brings the client down to earth, and often puts a look of awe on
their face. When they understand that rebuilding/remanufacturing a piano is
NOT easier than (the factory) building a fine piano from scratch it makes it
seem (more) reasonable.

I then let the client know that there is a huge area between the complete
job and doing nothing, and that we can try to help them find a package that
makes sense for them. But again, at least they know what they are giving up.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter