[pianotech] Action locking

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 18 17:29:20 MDT 2010

Years ago, I uncrated a lot of grand pianos.

Some new pianos came in with a long stick tied to the action brackets. The stick sat on top of the hammershanks and snugged up against the hammers.

Some pianos had an adjustable bolt that attached to the hammer flange rail and would tighten up against the pinblock.

I may have seen a wedge make of some sort of packing material that went between the hammer flange rail and the pinblock.

Very often the top stick was tied to the plate and the music rack was tied down to the desk. There was packing material placed so there would be no rub marks.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois