[pianotech] Regulating, was curve was glide

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Oct 18 07:38:05 MDT 2010

Yes that is true.  I don’t consider cleaning, filing hammers, or voicing “regulating”.  Since the needs of each piano will vary I approach each job individually and don’t lump everything under the umbrella of regulating.  Hammer filing, cleaning, voicing are different things than regulating and while some of them might be done in advance of the actual regulation procedure (except voicing which should be done after and probably on site rather than in the shop) I try and avoid confusion by separating the procedures—after all, you can file hammers and clean, polish and voice without regulating.  I don’t move the piano to my shop for the work you describe.  In this area that can add another $700 to the job (or more) for moving and I see that as an unnecessary expense for the customer, money that might be better spent on something else the piano needs and also which goes into my pocket, not the movers.  So in answer to your question when I “sell” a regulating job I do what is necessary always mindful of the needs and budget considerations of the customer.  I describe the procedures that are required and the benefits of each.  If there are budget considerations I make recommendations about where to prioritize, whether omitting something now might result in additional costs later because of duplicated work, etc.  I try and educate customers as much as possible about the piano so that they can make informed decisions now and in the future.  If they want to do something that doesn’t make sense I let them know.  If the action requires the replacement of any parts, balance rail punchings, key rest felt, key end felt, etc., then I remove the action to the shop, replace the necessary parts, rough regulate on the bench do the final regulation on site in the piano.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com