[pianotech] bridge notching machines - search-able title

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Oct 17 18:24:18 MDT 2010

On 10/17/2010 6:31 PM, Terry Farrell wrote:
> Ron - what kind of a lead angle are you getting on your notches? By
> that, I mean approximately what is the angle (tangent) of the face of
> the notch at the top of the notch when it first starts downward from the
> bridge top? That make sends? Maybe more accurately stated, what is the
> angle made by the bridge top and a tangent to the uppermost portion of
> the notch face? Yeah, that's better, I like that.

Near as I can tell, about 140°. It cuts about 5mm deep.

> Dog-gone fine-looking notches!

Better and faster than I can do with a chisel so yea, I think so too. <G>

> Have you tried the Steingraber bridge agraffes yet?

Nope.

>Are you tempted?

Sure! I'm always ready to explore. Just need a check.

> What do you think of them?

Looks like a fine system to me. A lot like the agraffes at least a half
dozen folks I know sketched out some time back - only they built 'em
where we didn't. One concern I have is that of bridge root height. You
lose some in the retrofit. They sure sound good with the cf soundboard
though.

Ron N