[pianotech] was curve now glide

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sun Oct 17 06:42:07 MDT 2010

 David says:

. Contrary to those who advocate for bedding   the keyframe with the stack and keys removed I prefer to do it with the action   assembled. Of course I don't think there's anything wrong with either   method. I do think that going to the trouble of   removing stack and keys is unnecessary.

         I found stability issues with some of the actions at school.  It seemed like the keybedding was weather dependent, changing from one season to the next.  Upon taking them apart, I found that the stack didn't evenly seat on the key frame.  I removed the stack and keys, bedded the frame, replaced the stack without screws, and shimmed the cleats until all the feet were touching. Reassembled it all and have had no problems since. I think the mismatch between  stack and frame created a stress when the screws were  tightened, causing the whole assembly to be weather sensitive.
   On new   handbuilt pianos, I think it is essential to bed the stack to the frame after the frame is bedded to the bed.
(and after finishing everything, I check for una corda balance rail knocking with both pedals firmly depressed.)
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT