[pianotech] Bedbugs

Joyce Meekins joycemeekins at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 12:30:17 MDT 2010

I really hate to be the one to bring up this topic but here it goes.
 One of my clients moved into an upscale retirement home along with her two
grand pianos.  She's been there several years without a problem, then this
spring discovered bedbugs in the apartment.  The two grands were moved out
of the apartment while the exterminators came and treated the residence with
special heaters and fans, raising the room temperature to 140 degrees for
several hours. Nothing else was removed from the apartment and the nasty
pests are no longer a problem........let's hope.
My question is this.  Have any of you had any experience with bedbugs in
pianos or piano bench cushions? I know they are mainly interested in areas
with easy access to human contact such as beds, sofas, and clothing.
For years, I've avoided using the same dust cloth on more than one piano,
out of concern of transporting insect eggs from one to another. Any bug
stories out there? Any recommendations?

Joyce Meekins