[pianotech] key leveling with a curve

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Fri Oct 15 00:30:03 MDT 2010

Sorry Al, neither argument seems logical, at least not at 2:00 AM.
First, the idea that crowning the key level accurately anticipate the
settling of the keys is absurd.  Is that for a piano that;s played
heavily, lightly, or not at all?  And how much settling would be
taking place with half-rounds, vs. felt punchings?  David Love
pointed out the dilemma faced once any settling HAS occurred: do we
recrown? in which case we obviate the premise that we're doing it to
end up with a level keyboard. or do we pull out front punchings to
restore aftertouch.

As for any keybed radius... what are we talking about?  the entire
bed or the front rail?  Clearly the concept of creating opposing
curves to establish positive interface between the front rail and the
keybed  would apply to just that location: the front rail.  But
that's not where we establish key level.  The balance rail interface
doesn't depend upon flection to achieve positive connection.

The argument...she maka no sense!  but gets a lotta mileage.

David Skolnk
Hastings on Hudson, NY