[pianotech] Grand Piano Tilter

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Thu Oct 14 19:49:17 MDT 2010

Roger and list,

                I still think that there is too much possibility to drive
upwards something that was designed to have something hanging from it. There
is, on some pianos, very little distance between the top of the drop screw
and the bottom of the pin block. With some “rebuilds” this distance is
incredibly small to the point of not even being there. With any compression
at all from underneath you take a very real chance of driving the drop
screws into the pin block. On a soft block it might be ok since the screws
will likely simply leave a mark in the block. In the case of a dense block
it would be possible to actually strip the drop screw in the flange from the
screw being pressed into the flange rather than the threads turning to raise
or lower the screw. This can also happen with an improperly seated action
that jumps off of the keybed. If there is enough flex in the keybed I
maintain that it could happen from tilting the lyre attachment point too.

Greg Newell

Greg's Piano Forté

www.gregspianoforte.com

216-226-3791 (office)