[pianotech] key leveling with a curve

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Oct 14 13:48:15 MDT 2010

I have a leveling stick that I got from Steinway some years ago and one side
is straight and the other side is curved.  I think the key settling argument
is probably the most sound one except that once the keys in the middle
settle then the dip will be too shallow.  Should one then remove punching to
increase the dip or add punchings to the center rail to raise the key
height.  So many decisions.  Even if someone can recognize the curve while
approaching a piano from a distance  even without their laser leveler,
that's fairly irrelevant.  The question is can they tell when they sit down
to the piano in terms of how it performs.  I'd be surprised but no further
anecdotal evidence is required .  Who knows, maybe when these pianists do
runs from the center out they sense a slight bit of acceleration from
running downhill.  I once new a princess who could sense a pea underneath
100 mattresses.  Of course that means they should encounter some resistance
from going uphill from the extremes inward.  I guess you have to make a
choice.  The crowning of the keybed seems to me to be of no consequence
since the front rail of the key frame itself is rarely of uniform thickness
as evidenced by the number of front rail punching required to achieve
uniform dip through the set anyway.   Nevertheless, I'm glad we've explored
this topic thoroughly.  Now I can go back to sharpening my chisels.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com