[pianotech] was curve now glide

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Oct 14 10:27:36 MDT 2010

My Main objective with glide bolts is to keep them bedded with out lifting the front rail That said there has been a fair amount of discussion on this list about the tonal affects of tweaking the key frame just a little bit and I have tweaked them judiciously on many occasions. Sometimes to gain just a bit more key travel/dip in a hurry or temporarily until other measures can be arranged.  The other side benefit from this in my mind id that it may keep the bedding bolts bedded from season to season.  Seems like every new Steinway I see has never had the bolts bedded.
  I personally favor setting the bolts with the keys off and stack screwed (as per Yamahas method ) on to un -load the frame.  Then when the keys go on there is a certain sure bedding and the weight of the keys insures that a bit.
 Dale

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com
Custom piano restoration