[pianotech] Chisel, round two

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Oct 13 21:51:17 MDT 2010

After my recent foray into making a chisel from M2 high speed steel, I
dug out another orphan for consideration. Some years ago, I bought a
poor abused socket chisel at an estate sale for, essentially, zip. It
had a lot of blade left, but some waste of life force subhuman troll had
hammered the socket into a deep and ugly mushroom, with the stub of the
original broken off handle embedded within! Photo one shows a discreet
view, from an angle avoiding the really nasty details. I thought maybe
it could be salvaged (which is why I bought it), so I fired up the torch
yesterday and forged on (as it were). The result was, at a time
expenditure beyond what just buying a new chisel would have been worth,
a nice tool. With the addition of a handle, it ground and sharpened up
very nicely, and will serve well beyond the life of the next owner if
it's reasonably well cared for. Photo two is prior to sharpening and
finishing the handle. I hate unnecessary waste, and don't mind putting
too much time into reversing flagrant stupidity on something that's
potential has been wasted by some inbred knuckle walker. This one
qualifies as a keeper - the chisel, that is.

Then again, keep in mind that I am possessed of an edged tool fetish,
and make bridges out of salvaged maple flooring. It's a perspective sort
of thing.

Ron N