[pianotech] rates for new technician

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 11 18:24:18 MDT 2010

Great story Tom, I love it!

Piano technicians are underpaid.  I believe part of the reason we are
underpaid is due to our own lack of understanding business operations,
knowing what to charge and when and being afraid of charging our true worth
for fear of what the client might say or for fear of losing one.  It is
because of this fear, that so many technicians do not charge what they
should and do not raise prices in a timely fashion like yearly or at the
very least, every other year.  It is because of the lack of business
knowledge and understanding that so many technicians do not keep track very
well, of many things.  One of them being the last time they increased their
prices and by what percentage?  Has it been 2 years? Or has it been 7?  I
know one tuner that increases his rate about once every 5-7 years and then
by not all that much.

Making a business plan along with goals each year and then achieving these
goals is a good idea along with reading material related to running a
business.  Should we go into any business not knowing anything about how to
run one?  It is a sure plan for failure or a very long road to success at
best.

Jer