[pianotech] Of Chisels

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Mon Oct 11 14:44:43 MDT 2010

I use sharpening services for things like my saw blades and planer and
jointer blades.  But not chisels or hand plane blades.

For those of us who do bridge work, I think it is essential to have
developed skills for sharpening - whatever the means may be as detailed by
so many in this thread.  Doing good bridge notching by hand requires deadly
sharp edges to do it well, along with the proper "English" to manipulate the
blade to pare away that hard maple.  When I feel the edge starting to go
away a bit while notching, I pull out the stones and quickly touch it up..

I repeat  quickly because one thing that has not yet been discussed here is
frequency of sharpening, and the best way to keep your tools at their very
sharpest all the time.  We have described the process of going through a
progression of ever finer grits until we arrive at that mirror edge.  That
takes some time as we bring a new chisel from raw to ravishing.    What has
not been mentioned is that it is very little work to keep that edge in prime
condition if we discipline ourselves to touch it up regularly.  When you
start feeling the edge go a bit dull, just walk over to your finest grit
stone and make a few passes top and bottom and you're there again.  That
takes a couple of minutes max.  In the process of notching a set of bridges,
I might do that a couple of times.  The job moves more quickly and the
result is better.  So why would I want to go to the trouble of sending out
those chisels for a day or two, when I can have it back in two minutes, and
sharper than I would ever get from the service?

If one is going to aspire to be a true craftsman who uses hand chisels and
planes to manipulate wood, part of the skill set required is the ability to
sharpen these tools well.  Indeed, it is very much a part of the aesthetic
of being a hand craftsman.  They are what make the truly fine work possible
along with the other developed skills of the craftsman.

Will Truitt