[pianotech] Of Chisels

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Sun Oct 10 19:08:22 MDT 2010

Having flattened using the side of the Tormek wheel in the past, I would
recommend not.  Unless you only have very minor flattening of the back to
do, it takes an incredibly long time on the Tormek.  Coarse Emery cloth,
coarse sandpaper, x-coarse diamond stones (followed by the finer grades) all
work much, much quicker than the Tormek for flattening backs (and fronts for
that matter).   Don't get me wrong, I think the Tormek is a fine tool, but
is very slow if you have to make anything other than minor changes to the
tool.  And remember - we are talking about using the sides of the super-slow
Tormek wet-wheel here for flattening, not a standard high (or even slow)
speed grinder.  NEVER use the sides of those wheels for grinding.

My 2 cents,
William R. Monroe