[pianotech] rates for new techician

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 10 13:57:18 MDT 2010

Hi Zoe,

After attending piano tech school 28 years ago, I went home and called up technician I knew and we went out to lunch. I posed the very same question you asked. His answer was, "You don't want to be known as a cheap technician." My tuning rate was the same as his--but for a while, it took me longer! I hate it when I stupidly underbid something and end up working for less than I feel I'm worth. There are a number of different ways people determine how they charge--piece work, hourly, you can look at some of the work guides to see how long job should take and base a price on that, etc. The question really isn't how many years you've been in business, it's about being competent. There are a lot of people who have been in business for years and years, but.....

Good luck.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois