[pianotech] Of Chisels

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sat Oct 9 03:11:12 MDT 2010

  Speak to me of chisels, folks.

What makes them able to take a good edge or not?

Over the years I've bought "bargain" chisels, and sharpened them to what
felt like a good edge, only to find that they wont cut wood by hand
unaided but have to be battered with a mallet.  it daunts one's
confidence.  The other day I was enlarging a mortice in the  front door
of my mother's house so as to fit a new lock, and as ujsual was
struggling with a cheap chisel.  Then I dug out a couple of my late
father's old chisels, very churned-up at the tip, but  a decent make
(Marples) and sharpened them, to find that they cut well.

What is the difference in the metal?  Why don't some cut even though
they feel sharp to the finger?

Many years ago, back in nineteen-canteen in High School, I got an A in
the woodwork exam.  But we were never initiated into the myteries of
cheap v. good chisels.

I await pearls of wisdom, knowing that on this list i am bound to get
'em....

Best,

David Boyce.