[pianotech] New photographic journal available soon.

seles tinus seles_tinus at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 6 20:39:24 MDT 2010

Hi Mr Behm,
I'm interest the journal , hope you will send to me too,,
Regards Seles

      On 10/6/2010 5:45 PM, Chuck Behm wrote:
    Hello everyone - I just wanted to let
        everyone know that I will be working on a new photographic
        journal of a restoration project currently in the shop, and that
        I will be happy to send out PDF's of the photo sets as they are
        available to anyone interested.

        This particular project is a 1910 Steinway upright that was
        donated to the shop. The purpose of the restoration is
        three-fold.

        1. To provide a opportunity for members of the Central Iowa
        chapter of the PTG (and anyone else who would care to drop by)
        to gather one day every other week and tackle a significant
        restoration job that goes beyond the scope of what many
        technicians have experience with.

        2. To provide photos and ideas for an planned upcoming series in
        the Piano Technician Journal concerning a side-to-side
        installation of premium pinblocks in an upright. (Three
        pinblocks [Bolduc, WNG, and QM5 (offered by Schaff)]are
        tentatively set for being utilized and featured in the series.)

        3. To provide a donation to the Susan Komen Breast Cancer
        Foundation through the sale of the piano at the completion of
        the project. The piano will be refinished (by myself) and will
        have many aspects restored, of course including the pinblock,
        pins and strings. It will, I'm sure, turn out to be a beautiful
        instrument.

        Anyway, the first gathering of chapter members is scheduled for
        tomorrow. The plan is to remove the strings, pins, plate and the
        sides to the piano to ready it for the side to side routering
        out of 1 1/2" of original pinblock material.

        The article to be written will hopefully (upon final approval by
        the editors) appear next summer in the Journal. The photo sets,
        however, will be available from me much sooner. They will have
        much less text than the Journal article (just captions, really),
        but far more pictures. Due to the space limitations of articles
        appearing in the Journal, many pictures must be left out. No
        good photos will be left out of the photo sets. (You can
        therefore get a sneak-preview of what may soon be coming down
        the road in the Journal.)

        If you would like to begin receiving these photo sets as soon as
        I make them available, please drop me a note at behmpiano at gmail.com

        The last photographic journal that I did went out to over 350
        technicians around the world. Hopefully, there will be similar
        interest in this project. My message to beginning technicians,
        in particular, is that if I can do projects like this, so can
        you.

        Life is more fun if you tackle a challenging job once in a
        while. Makes it fun to get up in the morning.

        Sincerely, Chuck Behm