[pianotech] Susan Graham

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 4 16:17:47 MDT 2010

Susan's sudden death is a great loss to all of us and one to our profession
too.  I have two memories to share about Susan.  Back in the early 1980s, a
group of PTG female members were having a discussion.  Most of them agreed
that PTG should change the award Man of Note to something less sexist.  One
of them challenged the others, "If you want them to change it you just have
to earn the award and they will have to change it."  I don't remember if
Susan was in that group, but when she was given the award in 1986, it became
known as the Member of Note.

When I was new to service on the PTG Board, we were searching for a new
Journal Editor.  In those days the editor did much of the technical writing
too.  When Susan came into a board meeting for an interview, I told her and
the board that I thought the position of Journal Editor was the most
important job in PTG.  She really did not know me from Adam, but it was the
only time I have ever seen her look dumbfounded.  Whether she had not
considered it that way before, or was just caught off guard that a PTG Board
member was not as full of self importance as she was lead to assume, I guess
we will never know.  We will miss you Susan.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

 <mailto:bdornfeld at earthlink.net> bdornfeld at earthlink.net

North Shore Chapter