[pianotech] action center time bomb

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 2 12:25:41 MDT 2010

Hi, Ron:
I'll concur with Ryan.  I've worked on these for a number of years.  Repinning is the "only way" to permanently fix the problem.  But, you knew that already.  Yes, it is typical of these to have flange sticking problems.  I've seen it mostly in the hammer flanges, but maybe that's because the most stress is on them.  Rest assured, you'll be back doing the rest of them soon.
I have a N*ka grand in Coronado that had hammer flange problems from day one.  I put a flat "damppchaser" (different brand) inside the action under the hammer rail.  Low wattage.  No more problem.  If it's humid, you'll probably be easing the key bushings too.  Be ready to build up your hand muscles trying to ease the keys, since they are laminated.  They like to pop back where they were after you squeeze them.  I use a modified Vice Grip pliers to  ease the keys on them.
Are We Having Fun Yet?
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego