[pianotech] action center time bomb

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Oct 2 10:32:27 MDT 2010

I serviced a Nordiska grand yesterday. It wasn't that far out of tune,
and being in the beginning of seasonal transition, it was a lousy time
to be doing a church tuning. But - there was this sticking damper, you
see, which was the real reason for the tuning.

I pulled the action, and crawled into the cavity with whatever light
sources I could point in the general direction of the problem, and
started looking. I centered the wire, eliminating side pressure on the
bushing, and that helped, but didn't do it, so I pulled the wire. Yup,
the post pinning was way tight. I dropped the sostenuto and raised the
up stop rail out of the way, and got the under lever out. Yup, the
flange pinning was way tight too. So I repinned and FINALLY managed to
get the sucker back in (the screws are flat ended, and too hard to
file). When I had the lever out, I showed the office resident what the
problem was and promised him that this wasn't the end of it. I suggested
doing the one for now, and when the others start seizing up too and
force the issue, we could do the set then.

Now, for those of you with some experience with Nordiska, besides having
the usual  painfully strident, thin, and LOUD sound, and the heaviest
music desk on the planet (I like that one), is this center pinning thing
typical?
Ron N