[pianotech] Re Green piano bridge repair with carpet tacks

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Nov 11 21:20:39 MST 2010

It seems to me that if you've got a crack connecting a whole row of
pins, you probably have a cheap piano and the owner will not want to
spend a lot getting the problem fixed. Obviously, if you have a good
expensive piano and the owner has the money to do the right thing, you
will make a new bridge cap.

But, if you have a cheapo piano with a long crack through a row of pins,
two ideas present themselves (at least, to me): (1) why is that crack
there? Check the side bearing, and the angle at which the holes for the
bridge pins were bored. (2) there is absolutely no reason I can see why
you should keep the pins along the line of the crack. Move to new wood,
changing the angle and the placement to put less stress on the pins
(while still, of course having SOME side bearing.) You can always take a
chisel and carve out a new notch if necessary, before installing the
bridge pin again.

And I have not, to my knowledge, used epoxy on a bridge repair which
failed. And I've done some doozies. Nor did I use fancy epoxy. Straight
ordinary old five-minute from the hardware store has always done the
trick. The only reason I can see for an epoxy repair to fail is if one
left the pins along the crack, or if one encountered excessive side
bearing and didn't correct it -- or if the wood of the bridge body is
completely degraded for some reason, like having been soaked right
through, or having been infested by powder post beetle. In that case,
you probably have a lot more problems than just a bad bridge cap.

By the way, your repair with the headless steel tacks (cute, really)
resembles one of my "bridge confessions" repairs, pre CA era, where I
just wedged bits of toothpick or popsicle stick to get the bridge pins
back to where they had even a little bearing. Now that one -- I see no
reason to think that repair held up over time. It's a long time ago, a
different city, never heard from them again. I added no glue, either. I
was pretty young in the business.

Susan Kline