[pianotech] Desk glide

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Wed May 26 06:23:30 MDT 2010

Rick,

As Ed said, usually 1/4" or less and from your photo it looks like the front
section is completely out.  Ed's method for removal is good, and I also find
that if you've other projects to do, application of alcohol at the joint
will release the (usually) hide glue in a few minutes and the glide comes
right out cleanly.

I would disagree with Jon on the use of screws.  I think a good (again,
hide) glue joint for the new glides is very strong and a joint with only
screws, weaker.  I do like the idea of the lower support that Jon made -
good thinking Jon.  Maybe not necessary in most homes, but.......

William R. Monroe