[pianotech] Tone building in the modern piano

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Sat May 22 12:50:54 MDT 2010

Ron,

I've tried steaming hammers on a 2003 Malaysian Kohler & Campbell. The
guidelines I read a while ago were to just steam them in my Rival hot-pot
(doubles as a glue pot) for just a very brief time. I took that to mean
about 1-2 seconds. It didn't help. What's your (or anyone else?) sense for
timing on this? If 1-2 seconds isn't enough, go for another 1-2 seconds? Or
for another 3-5 seconds? Or just replace hammers? (Not kidding on that.)

Thanks,
Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:
<snip>

> I have steamed new hammers down some, to good effect, so I'd start there.
> Actually, I'd lift and level strings first, which will often enough clarify
> tone as to be worth the effort. Verify strike point, then voice.

</snip>