[pianotech] Tone building in the modern piano

Tony Caught acaught at internode.on.net
Thu May 20 07:07:53 MDT 2010

Mike,

Currently in Australia the list of work required on a piano is

Upon installation Tune the piano, settle the strings, retune to A440, check
regulation to factory settings, check all screws, adjust pedals, polish
cabinet etc. The dealer is supposed to pay for this and in return the
importer will pay a sum of money to retune the piano at their expense.

A lot of dealers ignore this and just tune the piano on delivery. OK. The
piano was sold at a discount price so why do the work.

So I agree with you, there is a lot of work still to do on the piano even
after the above work is carried out. Refacing the hammers and removing the
bum fluff, voicing the hammers to get more bounce, yes, checking and
rectifying the strike point of the hammer. Sure I can get the piano to sing
but at whose cost. Then the next problem, the piano sings but its not the
rich colour of tone that I want so maybe if I glued a 4*2 hunk of maple on
the soundboard at the treble end or put in thinner strings to cut the
tension so the existing soundboard could handle the vibrations or what ?

Oh yeah weak not leak but then again ?

Tony

Tony Caught
acaught at internode.on.net