[pianotech] marketing

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Mon May 17 01:09:53 MDT 2010

Marshall

Who are you trying to reach? If your 're trying to reach the general public, advertising in the Classifieds, like I suggested before, is probably your best investment.

If you're trying to reach schools and churches, take the time to go though the Yellow Pages, and make a data base list for every school and church in your area. Then send them a post card. It's less expensive than a letter, but the post office will return bad addresses. Call up the schools and churches you got back and ask for their correct address. (Some of them use a PO box). Send the post card several times a year. You don't have to offer a discount. You just want to get you name out there. But expect only about 1% - 5% of them to call.

The same with the piano teachers. Look to see if there is a Music Teacher's Association chapter and/or a Piano Teacher's Association chapter. If you can't get a free chapter roster, join the group, and they will give you one. Then make a database of their names and address and send them post card, just like the schools and churches. Again, you'll only get a 1% - 5% return. All of this is a lot of work on your part, but it's much cheaper than paying for a mailing list of the geneneral public, and paying someone else to do the marketing for you.

The bottom line, Marshall, is that there is no quick and easy way to build a business. I feel you're pain and frustration at not getting any business. But unfortunately it take time to build a business. and if you don't have another source of income, it can be very difficult. That is one reason why a lot of small business fail in the first three years. With the way the economy is these days, it's even more difficult.

But hang in there. I've noticed a slight increase in phone calls in just the last three weeks. Maybe it will turn around for you, too.

Good luck, my friend.

Wim