[pianotech] Catastrophic Events While Tuning...

J. Stanley Ryberg jstan40 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 15 17:59:25 MDT 2010

        	Saturday, May 15, 2010 12:46 PM

            From:"Ed Foote" <a440a at aol.com>

        	To:pianotech at ptg.org
remember a bass string break in 1976.   I think Aaron Bousel was tuning
a 9' M&H at Harvard when the North Bennet class was over there
getting our feet wet.  It broke at the hitch pin and the end of this
thing went whizzing by his head.  I have often wondered how far into me
the end of a freshly broken string would go.  Anybody got any
experience?

   I always wear glasses to tune, but has anybody ever really had blood
drawn by a breaking string?  (And I wonder why more older violinists
don't have blind left eyes...)

Ed Foote RPT

Considering the actual mass of a violin string and its (relative) stiffness, I don't think it likely to carry far enough to be a real danger.  Fortunately!  (Tension is certainly lower, too...relatively!)

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL
jstan40 at sbcglobal.net