[pianotech] Catastrophic Events While Tuning...

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sat May 15 11:46:57 MDT 2010

 I remember a bass string break in 1976.   I think Aaron Bousel was tuning a 9' M&H at Harvard when the North Bennet class was over there getting our feet wet.  It broke at the hitch pin and the end of this thing went whizzing by his head.  I have often wondered how far into me the end of a freshly broken string would go.  Anybody got any experience?
   I always wear glasses to tune, but has anybody ever really had blood drawn by a breaking string?  (And I wonder why more older violinists don't have blind left eyes...)

Ed Foote RPT