[pianotech] Catastrophic Events While Tuning...

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat May 15 04:11:45 MDT 2010

>Normally I test the lid when raising it by moving it side to side which would
>have revealed the lack of a pin, but obviously the owner would not have
>known that trick.

That was my procedure to verify that the pins are installed, not any more.

A few weeks ago, I lifted the lid and it gave a god side-to-side
motion explaining
to the customer why I was doing it. FIve minutes into tuning, the lid
came down.
Evidently the hinges were binding enough to not come apart until the
lid was up.

I'll visually inspect from now on or feel for the pins if the [piano
is tight to a wall.

Regards,

Jon Page